According to legend, a group of local businessmen met at the new Boulderado Hotel in the City of Boulder sometime during the early 1900’s and discussed their love for the game of golf. They felt it was time that Boulder develop a golf course and a club for individuals enthusiastic about the game. Aggressively pursuing their plan, a group of community leaders organized to create the Boulder Golf Club and developed a small 7-hole course on the south side of Baseline Road between Grant Street on the east and Gregory Canyon on the west in the shadows of the Flatiron Mountains. Charter members of the Boulder Golf Club paid a $10 initiation fee with $10 as annual dues. By 1920, a formal entity calling itself the Boulder Golf Club moved to rented farmland located off of Jay Road in a more level location. There a Clubhouse was built on a parcel of land they had purchased. A 9-hole golf course was developed which members played twice, using two different tee locations on each hole. A multipurpose room provided the opportunity for casual box lunches and social gatherings. Members maintained the golf course, pulling dandelions and playing on sand greens which were reputed to be almost as fine as playing on grass. Weekly pot luck dinners were held in the Clubhouse for the members. Membership was limited to 70 members each paying annual dues of $50. Greens fees were $1 per round during the week and $2 per round on the weekends. Caddies were available at 70 cents per 18 holes.
By the summer of 1927, 2,000 rounds of golf were played on the course, a 25% increase over the previous year. Golf was not the only activity as the golfers were judged on their attire by a committee of 3 women. The ladies were also involved in their own bridge tournaments and lunches of hamburgers, roast ears of corn and ice cream were served to all members and their families. The course was also used for instruction by the physical education instructor at the University of Colorado. At one point, however, they were told they would not be allowed to continue to play if some of the young ladies persisted in wearing halter tops and shorts. Some of the women of the Club found this manner of dress offensive and the students were convinced that skirts and blouses were more appropriate.
As interest in golf continued to grow, the Board of Directors of Boulder Country Club realized the need to improve their playing conditions and began to explore developing a new 18-hole golf course for the city. The course, in the opinion of some, “would unquestionably overshadow all other attractions by bringing summer visitors to the area, making Boulder a byword for recreation and pleasure in the prominent places of the world.” Boulder Daily Camera, 2/13/1929. Preliminarily, several 200 tracts of land were investigated for possible site locations.
During the Great Depression of the 1930’s, individuals representing the Federal Government’s Works Progress Administration project selection team negotiated with the City of Boulder to build a municipal golf course. Members of the Boulder Country Club who had been contemplating developing an 18-hole course assisted by suggesting several different site locations they were considering for the location of a course. The golf course designer William H. Tucker who had also designed the Cherry Hills Country Club course in Denver assisted in the site selection. Ultimately a site known as the Odlum tract perceived by Tucker as “Nature’s gift to the City” at 55th Street and Arapahoe Road was purchased. 120 acres of meadows, trees and the Boulder Creek running through it was purchased by the City for $12,000. The membership of Boulder Country Club raised an additional $15,000 to help build the golf course. At that time, the Club membership numbered about 50 families. In order to acknowledge the link between the City and the Club, in 1934 the Club incorporated to become The Boulder Municipal Sports Center d/b/a/ Boulder Country Club. The agreement stipulated that the City would own the land and the Club would run the golf course. However the course would be open to the public. Members became intimately involved with the planting of trees, landscaping and maintaining the new course. The first 9 holes were ready for play in 1937. The years through the Second World War were difficult, but by 1947 the second nine were ready for play. In March of 1948 the Club purchased one and a quarter acres of land adjacent to the municipal course for the construction of a clubhouse for the use of its members. It was to include a large lounge, locker rooms with showers, a kitchen, snack bar and pro shop. In 1949 Full Golf memberships were sold for $100 per family. 74 families were enrolled at that time. By 1956 Boulder Country Club had expanded their amenities to include outdoor tennis courts and one of the first large in ground outdoor swimming pools in the city. The membership began to grow substantially. The Club remained at the course on East Arapahoe until 1965. Finally the pressure of public play on the course caused the Club to consider relocating again.
By the mid-1960’s, the City of Boulder was growing and anticipating developing industrial sites along the Longmont Diagonal. They felt it might be appropriate to consider building another municipal golf course in the area where additional residential communities would, no doubt, also develop. They approached George and Everett Williams, two local real estate developers who owned large tracts of land in the area. The idea was appealing to the Williams Brothers, who thought a private golf course surrounded by residences they would develop would be an interesting concept to pursue. The Williams Brothers employed the services of golf course architect, Press Maxwell, who was known to be designing a number of golf courses on the front range of Colorado. The 18-hole Championship golf course opened for play in October of 1963 with the 9-hole Executive golf course soon to follow. The prairie style Clubhouse designed by Hobart Wagener, a local architect of some renown was opened in 1965. It consisted of a formal dining area, ballroom, lounge, and kitchen. The Williams Brothers donated the golf course and Clubhouse to the membership of Boulder Country Club to attract them to move to our current location. The construction cost of the courses as well as the Clubhouse, exclusive of land, was about $900,000. There were 450 golf members; the initiation fee was $1,500 and the dues were $20 per month. During the early 1970’s many of the homes bordering the golf course were developed. Interest in Club membership increased and a Social membership was developed for the non-golfer who would utilize a large outdoor pool and tennis courts. Boulder Country Club had developed into a full service country club. In the 1980’s an indoor sports facility was built housing an indoor lap pool, 3 indoor tennis courts, a cardio vascular and weight room.
Since the year 2000 over $12,000,000 has been spent on renovating the Clubhouse, improving the golf courses by installing a wall to wall irrigation system and developing new bunkers and refurbishing the existing bunkers. The Athletic Center has been expanded to include a multi-purpose room where complimentary fitness classes are offered as well as massage services and steam showers. Boulder Country Club continues to offer a quality experience to its many member families. Membership levels are capped at 500 Full Golf families, 100 Par 3 families and 200 Social families. Including Non-Resident and Life members, the Club’s total population numbers approximately 1,400 adults and 1,100 children.